ALT=""
Jewellery

The Valette Crystal Cross

1565-1566
LDOSJ 1693
110x5x123mm

The crystal cross is in the shape of an eight pointed cross, symbol of the Order of St John, with the arms made of rock crystal mounted into a central gilt bronze mount.

This crystal cross was given in 1565 to Grand Master Jean de la Valette by Pope Pius V as a reward for leading the Knights Hospitaller in repelling the Ottoman forces during the Siege of Malta, hence the inscription ‘PIVS:V:Pont.Max’ in the centre of the front of the cross. The inscriptions on the reverse side refer to Grand Master Valette and his victory.

Sponsors

The Museum of the Order of St John would like to thank all those who have supported and continue to support its work. In particular, the Museum would like to thank the following for their generosity: