Étaples Weekly Reports

Étaples Weekly Reports – 27th September, 1916

Museum of the Order of St John

For an introduction to this project, follow this link.

This report is quite different to previous accounts of Colonel Trimble, due to the recordings of a number of fatalities in the general statistics of the hospital casualties. However, the report leads on to describe the appearance of a Russian general at the hospital, as well as visits made by other well esteemed individuals. Arrangements for the efficient running of Captain McIlwaine’s investigation of the “Soldier’s Heart” are also mentioned, in addition to comments on the current staff movements. Again Sister Swanne is highlighted for her terrible health, and finally she will be returned back to England for recovery.




My Lord,

For the past seven days I have to report as follows:-

Wednesday No. 26 A. T. arrived at 3 .a.m.   25 Stretcher cases

Thursday      “      27   “        “        “  10 .p.m    28   “             “

Tuesday        “      15   “       “        “  7 .a.m.      68   “            “

making a total admitted during the week of 121.

We have during the same period evacuated 409, and there

were 13 fatal cases.   This was only to be expected as all the

convoys admitted were composed of the most serious cases.

On Thursday the 21st inst, Colonel Carr brought to the

Hospital a Russian General C. Deoumo accompanied by Lt. General

Hanbury Williams, together with two other officers.   They were

shown over the Hospital and seemed very gratified with what they

saw.   Colonel Carr asked me to entertain the Russian General

together with Lt General Hanbury Williams and the two other

officers to lunch, which I had very great pleasure in doing.

On the same evening Surg. General MacPherson, C.E.,

C.M.G. and Colonel A.P Blinkinsop, C.E., also visited the

hospital. They made a thorough inspection. Col. Carr and

Col. Blinkinsop dined with me that evening.

Lt. Colonel Myers, who is a Professor of Psychology

at Oxford, and Major Rouse called here on Monday the 25th.

Both these officers specialises in nervous diseases, Col. Myers

being stationed in a Casualty Clearing Station at the Front and




Major Rouse is making investigations in England.

Colonel Sinclair who is one of the consulting surgeons

to the 4th Army called at the hospital on Monday the 25th.

Sister Gould went on leave on Thursday the 21st.

She had not been very well for some time and on her return from

Villa Tino it was considered better she should have some rest

at home.

Sister Robertson also went on sick leave to England

on Friday the 22nd.      She was to report her condition in a

fortnight, and it will then be decided whether she will be able

to return for duty with the Hospital again.

Sister Swann, who as I have already reported as being

ill with malaria and rhumatism at Villa Tino, was evacuated to

England on Monday the 25th.  She came to the Hospital on the

8th July and worked in the wards until the 18th August.   She

then became ill and went to Villa Tino where she has remained

until the 25th inst.   I do not think her illness was in any

way connected with her service in the hospital, so I would

recommend that her salary be paid up to the date of her going

home.   I do not think she has any further claim on the funds

of the hospital.  If you sanction this arrangement Captain

Gordon and Mr Robertson will arrange accordingly.

Dr. Peterson, as I have already stated, reported

for duty as an Assistant Surgeon to this hospital on the

17th September.   I received an institution from Major Prichard

saying that he had been appointed by the War Office to the




Honorary and temporary rank of Lieutenant R.A.M.C.   I have

not seen this in the Gazette, but presume it will come along

in due course.

Sergt. Bromley who some nine months ago applied to

be recommended for a commission in the A.S.C. (Supplies) and

whose then application was refused, was ordered to proceed

to Havre on Friday the 22nd to be tested as to his suitability

for this position.          He left the hospital on the 23rd and I

have not heard anything about him since.

The usefulness of the work being carried out with

regard to “Soldiers Heart” by Captain McIlwaine is developing,

and cases are being dealt with from the various hospitals here

to be reported on.    The accommodation at his disposal in the

present Cardiograph Room was quite iadequate to meet his

convenience, so I have arranged to move the Cardiograph to

another position adjoining the building which the overflow

walking cases use preparatory to their being taken into the

reception room for admission. This will entail a small cost

amounting approximately to £20 to £25. This absolutely

necessary if Captain MacIlwaine is to carry on his work in an

efficient manner, and I trust it will meet with your sanction

and approval.


I have to report that Lady Parrott arrived at the

Hospital on Monday the 25th inst. For a visit of about a

week`s duration.    During her stay she will have an opportunity




of seeing our St John`s V.A.D.` s who are serving in the other

military hospitals in this neighbourhood.

I wrote to you yesterday regarding the issue of great

coats and hats for some of our nursing staff.

I do not think there is anything further to report,

the work of the hospital appears to be quite satisfactory.

I have the honour to be,

Your Lordship`s obedient servant,

( Signed) Charles J. Trimble

The Director,

The Ambulance Department,

Latest blog posts