Verge of Beadle’s Staff

Richard William Atkins and Nathaniel Somersall
17th, 18th and 19th century

Following the dissolution of the Order by Henry VIII in 1541, its London home in Clerkenwell passed into Crown hands. The buildings on the site went through a number of uses in succeeding years, and the Order’s church became a second parish church in the 18th century, to meet the needs of London’s growing population. The Beadle was a senior official within the Church, and this silver figurine would have topped his ceremonial staff of office.


The Museum of the Order of St John would like to thank all those who have supported and continue to support its work. In particular, the Museum would like to thank the following for their generosity: